When searching for a solution I came across a very good blog post: 7 Ways to Free Up Disk Space on an SSD in Windows 7. The post suggested followin these steps:-
- Disable hibernation
- Decrease the size of the page file
- Turn off System Restore
- Perform a Disk Cleanup regularly
- Use a third party disk cleaning tool regularly
- Uninstall programs you do not use
- Disable File Content Indexing
I missed out steps 3 - Turn Off System Restore and 5 - Use Third Party Cleaning Tool. But I will look into these options later.The two steps that seemed to make the biggest difference where steps 2 and 7.
Follow this link to the original blog post.