29/07/2020

Coffee Table : Pallet Wood

Sitting in my fav chair in the conservatory there was nowhere to put my early morning cup of coffee. Obviously a prompt for any maker to get making. It only needed to be small, and just the right height to sit a cup on. A rummage in the off cuts box revealed the perfect pieces of timber for a top and legs. The top would be round about 10 inches in diameter with 3 tapered legs about 18 inches high. There was a nice chunk roughly 12 inches square made up of three widths of chunky pallet wood glued together originally glued up for a stool top. The three legs were already tapered and just needed sanding. The legs were attached to the top using socket screws and glue. For decoration I painted with a pale grey chalk paint, 2 coats. I decided to decorate the top using an idea I had been thinking about for a while. Using a transfer process that takes a laser print and transfers the image using an acrylic polymer medium, white glue can also be used. I chose an image from one of my favourite childhood comics, a page from the popular Dan Dare graphic story described as “Pilot of the Future” in the The Eagle Comic. A sci-fi story line of  daring do with the Martian bad boy the Meekon! 

No comments: